Even though the practice of Sati is mostly associated with the northern parts of the country, South India was no stranger to it in the past. While Sangam literature testifies its prevalence between the 3rd century BC and 3rd century AD, Sati stones, erected in memory of the woman committing it, provide physical evidence of the practice down south before it was abolished by the East India Company in 1829.
In a recent discovery, Chennai-based Tamil scholar and archeologist Dr Priya Krishnan and Vinod, an archeology enthusiast, have discovered two Sati stones, at Kulasekaranallur village in Tuticorin district. Estimated to be dating back to 17th or 18th century- when the Nayak kings ruled — locals say the stones were erected for widows of local heroes who died fighting the British..Read more
Source web page:Times of India